What Makes a “Great” Community Bank Board?
Host: Sharon Lorman, Vice President
Cohosts: Jeffrey P. Marsico, Executive Vice President and George W. Millward, Managing Director
Guest: David Baris, President of the American Association of Bank Directors and Partner, Kennedy Sutherland
Podcast Show Notes:
- Our This Month In Banking (TMIB) podcast features discussion with colleagues and other industry thought leaders on interesting banking news that happened this month. TMIB will be available on the last Wednesday of every month here, and on Apple and Droid podcast apps for your listening enjoyment. Join us on your commute, at your desk or at home.
Topic: What Makes a “Great” Community Bank Board?
- Start time:1:20
- What makes a “Great” Community Bank Board? Is it the type and mix of people? Does it require individuals who possess financial and/or business acumen and who are highly successful in their own lines of work? Should a director have strong community connections and a mandate to serve as an ambassador of the bank and generate business? Is it the culture of the Board (and of the Bank) developed through the Board’s collective actions? Is it the investment in board development? Our guest this month is David Baris, a Partner at Kennedy Sutherland, LLP and the President of the American Association of Bank Directors (AABD). Mr. Baris will give us his insight into what makes a “great” community bank board and why. Join us for this informative podcast!
- This podcast relates to The Kafafian Group’s Management Advisory services. Click here for more information.
David Baris, President of the American Association or Bank Directors (AABD) and Partner, Kennedy Sutherland
- American Association of Bank Directors
1300 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
- Mr. Baris is the President of the American Association of Bank Directors (AABD). AABD provides bank directors the resources with which to serve their institutions effectively and in a manner that will minimize risk of personal liability and represents their interests before federal and state legislative bodies, bank supervisory agencies, and judicial bodies. He is a member of the General Counsel Advisory Group of the Independent Community Bankers of America and served on the Federal Bar Association Banking Law Executive Committee. Mr. Baris was a Director of Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company and United of Omaha Life Insurance Company, a Fortune 500 company, serving on their Executive, Audit and Investment Committees.
- Among the books authored by Mr. Baris are AABD’s Bank Director Regulatory Burden Report; FDIC Director Suits: Lessons Learned; Bank Director Standards of Care and Protections; and Practical Handbook on Fair Lending for Bank Directors and Executive Officers.
- Mr. Baris also practices law as a partner of Kennedy Sutherland, representing financial institutions and their directors, officers and investors on securities, corporate, transactional, and regulatory matters.
- His law practice has included representation in over 90 bank mergers, numerous securities offerings, enforcement actions, examination matters, and corporate governance.
- Before joining Kennedy Sutherland in 2019, Mr. Baris was a partner in the law firm of Buckley Sandler. Mr. Baris brings to his practice experience as both a bank regulator and Congressional staffer, serving as Regional Counsel to the Comptroller of the Currency and Counsel to the Government Operations Committee, U.S. House of Representatives.
Watch for episode 38 of This Month in Banking to be released on Wednesday, February 28, 2019 and a new episode on the last Wednesday of every month.
Thank you for listening!
Some links to articles may require subscription and/or login.