Right-Sizing Your Branch Network? How One Community Banker Made the Tough Decisions
Host: Sharon Lorman, Vice President
Cohost: Gregg Wagner, Managing Director
Guest: Jerry Champi, President and CEO, FNCB Bank
Podcast Show Notes:
- Our This Month In Banking (TMIB) podcast features discussion with colleagues and other industry thought leaders on interesting banking news that happened this month. TMIB will be available on the last Wednesday of every month here, and on Apple and Droid podcast apps for your listening enjoyment. Join us on your commute, at your desk or at home.
- Topic: Right-Sizing Your Branch Network? How One Community Banker Made the Tough Decisions
- Start time: 1:24
- A decision to close or relocate a branch may be more impactful for a community bank than for a large regional or national bank since the community banker most likely lives within the community it serves. After making the decision to close a branch, the community banker will have to answer questions about their decision on the sidewalks, at chamber meetings and at other events within the community. Our guest this month is Jerry Champi, CEO of FNCB Bancorp, Inc. headquartered in Dunmore, Pennsylvania. Jerry will give us insight into how FNCB decided to close branches and the strategy used to retain the deposits.
- Is your bank considering closing underperforming branches?
• How do you make the right decision for your customers, your employees, your shareholders (if you have them) and the community in which the branch is located?
• What are the financial metrics you use to help make your decision?
• How do you communicate the decision to the community and customers?
• What strategies do you use to retain customers of the branch that is being closed?
• What variables do you use to track the success of the closing?
- Does your bank have branch profitability data to support branch closure decision making?
- This podcast relates to The Kafafian Group’s Performance Management services. Click here for more information.
- Jerry Champi, President and CEO, FNCB Bank
- Jerry is the President and Chief Executive Officer at FNCB Bank since July 1, 2016. Mr. Champi serves as a Board Member of FNCB Bancorp, Inc. and FNCB Bank. He previously served as Chief Operating Officer at FNCB Bank from March 2011 to June 2016. Mr. Champi joined FNCB Bank in 1991 and has over 35 years banking experience. He is a 1982 graduate of the Pennsylvania State University where he received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accounting. He received his MBA from Wilkes University in 1989.
- Jerry currently serves as a Board Member of the Pennsylvania Bankers Association Services Corporation (PBASC), Northeastern Pennsylvania Council Boy Scouts of America, Lackawanna Blind Association and Saint Joseph’s Center. He is Past President of the Northeastern Pennsylvania Council Boy Scouts of America; Past President of the Greater Pittston Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and Past President of the Luzerne County Community College Foundation Board of Directors.
- Mr. Champi also serves as a Penn State Worthington Scranton Campus Advisory Board Member and is a lifetime member of Pennsylvania State University Alumni Association. Jerry and his wife Cathy reside in Laflin, Pennsylvania.
Watch for episode 41 of This Month in Banking to be released on Wednesday, May 29, 2019 and a new episode on the last Wednesday of every month.
Thank you for listening!
Some links to articles may require subscription and/or login.